Sponsored by the Burlington Beer Company
Judging Saturday, August 24th 11:00am – 3:00pm, Best in Show at 3:30pm
The contest is BJCP registered and open to any amateur homebrewer age 21 and older. Entrants will have their entries judged according to the 2015 BJCP guidelines by at least two judges and will be provided with BJCP scoresheet feedback for each entry. BJCP
- Guidelines are available at: https://bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
- Online Registration begins: July 10, 2019 online. Please click here to access the online form.
- Homebrew Exhibitor Handbook at: Please click here for printable homebrew competition handbook.
- Online Registration ends: Aug 10, 2019
- Entry fee – none
Entry Drop Off
Shipping entries is not allowed. Drop off entries weekdays 9:00am-4:00pm from August 12th to August 16th (No Saturdays or Sundays).
Drop off at the administrative offices, 105 Pearl Street, Essex Junction, VT 05452.
Entrants will receive one free day pass for the Fair for the day of the competition at the time they drop of their entries. Limit one entry per category per person. There are 4 total categories and a brewer can submit one entry in each category. Total contest is limited to 100 entries. Each entry will consist of three 12 to 22 ounce capped bottles, corked bottles or cans that are void of all identifying information, including labels and embossing. Caps should be blacked out or blank. Printed caps are allowed, but must be blacked out completely. Brewers must submit two or three 12 to 22 ounce bottles/cans for each entry; but brewers submitting two bottles do so at their own risk, since there might not be a bottle available to advance to the Best of Show round. PET bottles with carbonation caps are allowed. 12oz brown glass bottles are preferred; however, green and clear glass will be accepted. Swing top bottles will likewise be accepted as well as corked bottles. Cans are also accepted. Bottles will not be returned to contest entrants. All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.).
Ribbons will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each of the four categories. There will also be a Best of Show Award for the best beer of the competition.
Category 1: Common American Styles
- 1B – American Lager
- 1D – American Wheat Beer
- 18B – American Pale Ale
- 19A – American Amber Ale
- 19C – American Brown Ale
- 20A – American Porter
- 20B – American Stout
Category 2: Agricultural
- 25B – Saison (specify Special ingredients, Strength [table, standard, super], Color [Pale, Dark])
- 29A – Fruit Beer (specify base beer style and fruit)
- 29B – Fruit and Spice Beer (specify base beer style and fruit/spice/spice/herb/veg)
- 30A – Spice, Herb, Vegetable Beer (specify base beer style and spice/herb/veg
Category 3: Standard IPA
- 12C – English IPA
- 21A – American IPA
- 22A – Double IPA
Category 4: Other IPAs
- NonBJCP1 – Fruit IPA (specify fruit, base style of IPA)
- NonBJCP2 – Fruit DIPA (specify fruit, base style of DIPA)
- NonBJCP3 – New England Style IPA
- NonBJCP4 – New England Style DIPA
- 21B – Specialty IPA (specify type of specialty IPA according to BJCP guidelines)
Best in Show – Chosen by Judges as the best overall example in the competition.